Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The first entry...

A while back, a friend of mine told me that working in the violin business can be "cloak and dagger" or almost Byzantine-like in its nature.

This may have been the initial sex appeal of working in such an industry of clout but my excitement has changed after working here for 9 months. So many musicians held inconsistent views and mis-perceptions over the care & maintenance of their instrument. The confusion and lack of standard repair procedures, appraisals, & business practices also seemed to be pervasive amongst violin shops.

As a former music student and violinist of 15 years, I felt it necessary to shed some light on what goes on in this business on a daily routine. The good and the bad, I try to cover, and in no ways a comprehensive coverage of the industry as a whole. These blog entries though attempt to document the dealer or the violin shop's perspective on how these instruments are brought into the player's hands.



My name is Chris and I work at A. Cavallo Violins, LLC. We're a small shop in Omaha Nebraska with big dreams. I hope that I can bring to life the daily struggles and joys of working in a violin shop from every post on out.

-chg

No comments:

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.